Monday 24 December 2007

The Uncommon Reader

I just bought The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett as a Christmas gift for someone. Of course I had to read it first! It's pretty clever. Bad points: one of the lead characters is a homosexual and portrayed as the only intelligent and sympathetic person in the royal entourage - as always it's frustrating to see a sinful lifestyle portrayed as good; second bad point - a few cases of unnecessary crude language; thirdly, I think it rather underestimates the Queen and her intelligence - of course it is fiction. Good points: it makes you look at the Queen as a real person, and there are several rather witty parts. Also, it inspires you to get reading - it reminds you of the sheer joy of being lost in a book. I enjoyed it...if you read it, let me know what you thought.

No comments: